Saturday, March 28, 2009

Maslow and Me

Maslow is on my mind. He has a great human needs concept that I have heard about since high school. Unconsciously, I have been aware through the years that there are certain steps a person should take throughout life in order to be come self-actualized.

Last year, my mother and I had a wonderful talk about life in general, and she spoke of something that she had learned as a child: Responsibility and self-actualization. Mom said she never had a problem with making her own path through life regardless of others opinions because she absolutely knew who she was, and accepted full responsibility for her choices and actions. As she spoke, she wrote down on a piece of paper her two 'secrets' of life. They were hung up as a reminder in a personal area to view each day. Consciously through out this year I have worked to be 'self-actualized' and responsible for my decisions.

It wasn't until two weeks ago while writing a term paper about Hospice Care (which will be my nursing speciality), that a full understanding came as to how important it is to be self actualized. I wrote of my father's death and how amazing it was to watch him reconcile with leaving so many dear people, beloved places, and belongings one by one. He went graciously and with dignity. He seemed to realize that he was keeping that which was most important; the gospel and his family. He had self-actualized! He had completed all of Maslow's steps, had done what was necessary in life, had taught well, and loved well.


One night, during a father-daughter moment, Dad said that he had told me many times of his love and acceptance, but until that knowledge internalized, he did not know of any other way to further express his feelings. What he was asking me to do was to self-actualize.




The funny thing about this all is that Dad never did have a great love for psychiatrists. He loved the Gospel of Christ, and in that, all the answers were there. His message was clear: reconcile yourself with Christ, live his commandments, be obedient, and things would work out.



So, we learn so differently from each other, and how we learn takes us down such individual paths. I am grateful for time, and second chances.


1 comments:

Sarah Camilla said...

We definately are cousins! The comment you have your mother recorded as saying--"I absolutely knew who I was"--sounds word for word like what my mother says. They were sisters! All five of those sisters (and best friends) knew who they were and that they could do anything and they passed it on to their children, us! I love those women!